Saturday, August 6, 2011

Our First Day In London

We were off once again.

While we had booked the trip months earlier, and it had seemed so far away, suddenly the day to leave was upon us. Our bags packed, our good friend Frank drove us to the airport.

What a pleasure it is to fly direct. What a pleasure it is not to have to fly into the US along with the US custom controls. We checked in online, dropped off our bags, and flew through customs.


Montreal to London is a relatively short flight, but they still managed to squeeze in a supper and a breakfast. A movie, a futile attempt to nap, and we were landing in London.

Prior to leaving, we had called via Skype to book up a private cab to pick us up at a fairly reasonable price. Tired, we spotted our name on a card, and he drove us to our new home for the next 2 weeks.

It is an adorable charming little basement apartment in a very lovely neighborhood. The layout is compact and efficient with a hide a way bed. Stepping outside, is a darling little garden.

As we walked about the neighborhood, we were struck how lush everything is. A variety of flowers perfumed the air, as we noted bamboo and palm trees growing in some gardens.




Staying awake the first day is of prime importance. The day is hard, and feels excessively long, but it is the only way to quickly adapt to the time change. While it is only 5 pm now, Hera and I are struggling a bit to stay awake.

One of my big goals for this first day was to be sure I got a local SIM card, and that I could unlock my phone.

I recently purchased the Samsung Galaxy S2, a wonderful smart phone, but roaming charges from our Canadian providors are exhorbitant, and after hearing stories of how some people came home with astronomical charges, I almost did not bring my phone.

I was under the impression that the CRTC had ordered the phone companies to provide unlocking services, but I had to fight tooth and nail to get the unlocking code for my phone. They were claiming they could only unlock the phone after 30 days, at which time I would be back. I argued that such a claim made no sense if I had a 3 year contract, and that neither the contract I signed nor their web site mentioned such a 30 day delay. Finally the gave me the code.

To put things in perspective, my roaming charges would cost me $15 to $25 per megabyte. With a local UK SIM card, for about $16 dollars I have 500 megabytes. 500 times cheaper!

With my phone happy with a new local SIM card, we were off to accomplish our last goal for the day.

We entered an Underground station to get our 7 day travel cards. 2 weeks of unlimited travel costed each of us 60 pounds! Expensive yes, but well worth it.

So often I had said that to really know a city, you need to ride its transit system. There is no city like London that drives this point home. The Underground IS part of what London is all about. Along with its double decker buses too of course!

Getting our travel cards is only the first step. Over the next few days we will have to learn how to use the Underground and the buses effectively.

With our goals accomplished, we were free to do as we pleased. I had noted on the map that Portobello Market was not too far off our route, and we could have hit it first. But I new we might dally. Strolling the bustling street after we did our day's work allowed us to enjoy the street market at our leisure, albeit in a fatigued state.


Street vendors sell the various wares, food merchants sell their produce, and a variety of ethnic stalls delights the nose. We had already grabbed a bite earlier, and were nolonger hungry, but I would not be surpirsed if we end up there soon enough.




We did pick up some produce, and spying a spice store made a bee line to it to buy some spices.

Without the energy of Portobello Market, the last leg home was a long and arduous twenty minute walk. We most definitely need to learn the transit system.

Walking in, and walking home, we came across of line of bikes that reminded us of the Bixi Bikes of Montreal. Actually, they are from Montreal!

It will be an early day for us. But we did manage to stay awake and accomplish the important tasks.

For a light meal, Hera made tapas out of an Indian hot pickled egg plant spread we picked up at the Spice Shop. We opened a bottle of the chilled Australian Chardonnay that our hosts provided, along with a few other welcome home goodies.

Photographer's note: All images today were shot with Lumix GH2 and a 20mm Lumix f/1.7 lens. Except the first and last shot. Samsung Galaxy SII smart phone was used for these two shots.

Cheers,

Hera & Anthony